Today was our networking group luncheon for April. The event was held at a new location for the CEO CFO Group. Maggiano’s Little Italy, at the Fashion Show Mall, is our new location and we were all thrilled with the food, service, and location.
Today’s menu was several delicious courses that included:
- Spinach and Artichoke Forno
- Chopped Apple and Walnut Salad
- Baked Rigatoni and Meatballs with smoked Italian Cheese
- Chicken Piccata
- New York Styled Cheesecake
William N. Thompson Guest Speaker at Networking Event
Professor Emeritus of Public Administration at the University of Nevada Las Vegas, William N. Thompson, was our guest speaker. All the Las Vegas senior level executives enjoyed his presentation: Casinos Macau: Background and Future. Professor Thompson was an excellent speaker and kept the attention of all.
The development and history of Macau was presented in great detail:
1. The Portuguese Come and Trade and Pray–1557
2. Opium Wars, Coolie Trade, Sins (several) and Religion
3. 1800’s A rival port in Hong Kong stifles trade, but bans gaming
4. Gambling emerges as a primary activity –regulation 1847
5. The first monopoly Tai Xing (Fu Tak Yam) 1934—1962
6. The STDM (Stanley Ho) monopoly 1962-2002
7. China regains sovereignty 1999
8. Licensing opens up—three then six licensees
9. Macau gaming (imitates) overtakes Las Vegas
The PowerPoint presentation included many pictures of Macau. Professor Thompson explained how Macau will never be a Las Vegas. One image showed a picture in Macau of an establishment with a sign that read “Genuine Las Vegas Experience”…you’ll never see a sign in Vegas saying it is like Macau! Las Vegas is and will more than likely remain the biggest and best tourist destination in the world.
The Las Vegas Brand: Is this a Macau Model?
- Forces in Las Vegas History: dam, military bases, crack-down on illegal gaming, airport, air-conditioning, highway.
- An Open City
- NOT a government project.
- Amenities Triumph—shows, restaurants, shopping, hotel rooms
Changes for Macau needed to BUILD TOURISM
- Live the History
- Walk the City
- Circle it with buses
- Access the region—open visas
- Sands on the Beach
- More amenities—Rooms, shows, meals
- Ecotourism (Liquefaction problem)
- Medical tourism
- Language outreach.
Guests at the Networking Event
As usual our networking event included some of the top senior level executives in Las Vegas. They included:
- Larry Scheffler, owner of Las Vegas Color Graphics
- John Guedry, CEO and President of Bank of Nevada
- David Lee, President of Assurance Ltd.
- Joe Russo, CEO of The Russo Group
- David Simard, President of Marnell Properties
- Thomas Hellums, Principal of Dwyer Engineering
- Robert Saucier, CEO of Galaxy Gaming